Since 2016, the City has annually presented an online survey that has provided respondents with the opportunity to indicate their preferred funding level for various City service areas. This was provided again in 2020 on a platform called Citizen Budget. Respondents can provide their property assessment in order to see how much of their taxes are allocated to the delivery of the thirteen service areas included in the survey.
Note: Services such as water, sanitary sewer, and solid waste services for curbside garbage collection were not included in the survey because they are funded by utility fees and not property taxes.
Service Area Feedback
- Police Services, Roads and Sidewalks, and Snow and Ice Control were identified to receive budget increases.
- Top three for importance: Police Services, Snow and Ice Control, and Fire Protection.
- Top three for satisfaction: Fire Protection; Parks, Trails, and Beautification; Recreation Services.
On a scale of 1-100, with one being significantly decreased, 50 being the same, and 100 being significantly increased:
- Has the pandemic affected income levels in your home/business?
- Has the pandemic affected the confidence you feel in PG and its economy?
- Has the pandemic affected your use of parks, trails, and sidewalks for things like walking and biking?
Budgeting for 2021
The pandemic has also significantly affected City finances and revenues. We asked about various ways that the shortfall could be addressed and respondents could select as many of the options they wanted.
The top three results:
- “Seek financial assistance from the provincial and federal governments” –
66 per cent
- “Sell some city land” -
59 per cent
- “Keep facilities closed” -
55 per cent