Forestry is a prime economic driver in Northern British Columbia and Prince George serves as the region's service hub. Discover opportunities, learn about the forestry cluster's competitive advantages, and
view local forestry company listings in the Business Directory.
Forestry in Prince George
Manufacturing and forestry are among the largest economic drivers in Prince George with nearly half of the labour force directly or indirectly employed in those industries. The city is home to seven lumber mills, three pulp mills, one paper mill, and multiple secondary manufacturing facilities.
Industry clusters developing from primary forestry manufacturing include remanufactured lumber, engineered wood products, packaged building solutions, millwork products, and more. Cross Laminated Timber (CLT) manufacturing in Prince George, in particular, offers an opportunity for investment.
Forestry Cluster Objectives
- Expand knowledge base of industries, leading to more collaboration and competition that breeds innovation, specialization, and expertise.
- Attract foreign direct investment by creating more focused marketing on specific industries.
- Clustering helps firms grow faster, increases their recognition, and establishes them in the market.
- Workforce attraction and retention. Clusters consolidate and highlight opportunities available in industry.
Forestry North American Index Codes
The forestry cluster uses the following
North American Index Codes (NAIC):
1131 - Timber Tract Operations
1132 - Forest Nurseries and Gathering of Forest Products
1133 - Logging
1153 - Support for Activities for Forestry
3211 - Sawmills and Wood Preservation
3212 - Veneer, Plywood, and Engineered Wood Product Manufacturing
3219 - Other Wood Product Manufacturing
3221 - Pulp, Paper, and Paperboard Mills
Forest Sector Reports
The Forest industry is a key component of the economy of the Prince George area. There are more than 950 suppliers in the City of Prince George with an annual industry spend of over $700 million dollars.
For more information:
- Trucking, logging, silviculture, warehousing, and harvesting.
- Wood engineered product manufacturing.
- Engineering and professional services.
- Environmental impact assessment.
- Workforce training and development.
- Equipment rental, storage, and maintenance.
Forestry Sector Opportunities
- Cross Laminated Timber manufacturing.
- Laminated Veneer Lumber manufacturing.
- Parallel Strand Lumber manufacturing.
- Established markets in North America and Asia.
- Complete supply chain.
- Production of 580,000 tonnes of pellets and 140,000 tonnes of paper annually.
- Expanded lumber transload capacity to over 30,000 containers annually.
- Skilled, experienced workforce.
- Shortest route between Shanghai and Chicago.
- Large core industries with over 15 firms that have at least 50 employees each.
View a listing of forestry companies currently registered in Prince George.
Find contact information, company profiles, and more in the City's Business Directory.
1100 Patricia Boulevard
Prince George, BC V2L 3V9