Prince George is at the centre of a globally-competitive forestry industry. Over 300 local forestry-related businesses provide products and services to customers around the world.
CleanTech Oil & Gas
Prince George hosts many firms that service and supply the oil and gas industry with clean technologies.
Major transportation networks connecting the city to northeast B.C. and Alberta let local suppliers competitively serve industry in those key markets.
Prince George is home to an abundance of experts specializing in designing, building, and ensuring energy projects are standards-compliant.
Infrastructure built by the city's renewable energy cluster is positioning Prince George as a leader in B.C.'s bioenergy sector.
Mining plays an important role in Prince George's economy. A cluster of local suppliers provide more than $252 million worth of materials, goods, and services to mines and smelters in British Columbia.
About Clean Tech
Clean technology (Clean Tech) seeks to offer competitive returns for investors while at the same time providing environmentally-friendly solutions. It includes a diverse range of products and services that encourage the productive and responsible use of natural resources to minimise ecological impact. Clean Tech covers many areas including:
- Air and Environment
- Energy production and storage
- Manufacturing and industry
- Recycling and Waste
- Water and wastewater management
Clean Tech Cluster
Why invest in clean technology in Prince George?
- Prince George is already home to over 70 clean technology firms.
- Prince George houses innovative projects like UNBC's gasification plant, the Downtown District Energy System, and the BC Biocarbon plant.
- Prince George is situated in a region that has the largest amount of wood biomass on harvestable land in Canada.
- Prince George is connected to major markets by rail, ports, airports, and major provincial highways.
- UNBC's Wood Innovation lab is a state-of-the-art research facility that focuses on creating sustainable wood engineering solutions.
- Expanding alternative fuel sources (e.g. biofuels, biogas, hydrogen combustion, etc.).
- Expansion of existing engineered wood businesses.
- Biogas technology and services.
- Digitisation of manufacturing, resource, and environment businesses (e.g. data collection, data analysis, etc.).
- Micro and mini-hydro electricity generation.
- Clean mining technology and services.
- Advance technological development through the creation or commercialisation of new clean tech products and services.
- Enhance financial capacity to pursue technology development and commercialisation to help clean tech firms expand, modernise, and export.
- Increase Prince George and area clean tech competitiveness by building capacity at the firm and community level to foster growth in the clean tech sector through increased access to capital, talent, and new markets.
- Engage Prince George and area businesses internationally by marketing and promoting clean tech cluster products and services through marketing initiatives and trade shows.
Clean Tech in Prince George
The City of Prince George has partnered with Community Futures Fraser-Fort George and local businesses to identify and enhance clean technology products and services. Economic Development staff will customise the program to suit the needs of businesses. Initial interviews with local firms indicated the following areas in which the Clean Tech Cluster can help:
Talent Recruitment - Give firms the tools to help recruit hard-to-fill positions.
Access to Development - Opportunities to meet with proponents of major projects to allow input on design and equipment specifications prior to decisions being finalised.
Market Intelligence and Access - Find out which areas offer rapid growth in clean technology for local firms to work into their processes and identify potential new customers.
For more information or to get involved contact: