Prince George's new RCMP Headquarters
On April 22, 2014, Prince George RCMP and support staff began the move to Fourth and Victoria Street in Prince George from their base of nearly forty years. A week later, the detachment and staff were fully installed in their new home.
The RCMP Facility is much more than an office building. It is also a crime lab, a jail, an armory, an evidence storage location, and a facility where the integrity of ongoing investigations can be maintained to ensure that justice is served.
This $38.9 million facility is just the latest of several downtown improvements and developments, and was the seventh facility connected to the City’s District Energy System.
Built to LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) standards, the building has many striking features:
- It uses 61% less energy than expected by the base Canadian Building Code.
- Solar power is used to heat the facility’s water.
- A solar wall heats fresh air for circulation in the building.
- Heat recovery is employed to make use of exhaust air.
- Geo-exchange cooling helps to cool the building when it’s hot.
As of April 27, all services provided by the Prince George RCMP are based out of the new location at 455 Victoria Street. Front counter services open at this location at 8:00 AM and close as usual at 6:00 PM.
Please visit the Prince George detachment’s website for further information. Always call 911 to report an emergency.