Purpose and Mandate
The Select Committee on Student Needs is to advise Mayor, Council and City Staff on matters regarding the priorities, policies and strategies affecting students in Prince George, in accordance with the Terms of Reference [PDF]. Specifically the committee will:
- Solicit feedback from the community on student issues, and bring to Council matters identified by the Committee as requiring action by the Municipality.
- Advise City staff, relevant Committees and Council on matters pertaining to local student issues and engage with the local student population.
- Play a role in the development and implementation of events and activities for students in conjunction with relevant City departments and Council Committees.
- Advise local government on policies and budget items where they may impact students.
- Work in support of related municipal objectives and strategic priorities.
- Increase representation of students with local government policy, programs, and services.
The Committee shall be comprised of a maximum of nine (9) members including:
- City Council - 1 member (Chair)
- Northern Undergraduate Student Society - 1 member
- College of New Caledonia Students' Union - 1 member
- School District No. 57 Student Advisory Council - 1
- Northern British Columbia Graduate Students' Society - 1 members
- Members of Public, appointed by Council - up to 4 members